Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Paul Hendricks for Signal Mtn. Town Council

Paul Hendricks for Signal Mtn. Town Council
12 September, 2006 - Well, we had our campaign kick-off yesterday and it went great. We invited our friends and neighbors to an open house. We discussed issues, had snacks and drinks and caught up with some friends we hadn't seen in awhile. We distributed yard signs, signed up volunteers and collected some contributions. I must say I was gratified that my entire neighborhood has my signs out (except one family who was out of town)!
Speaking of yard signs, if you want one please contact me and I'll take care of it.
Monday night I went to the Town Council meeting which was well attended. I was again reminded that, as important as the zoning issues on Shackleford Ridge Rd. are, the new council will face many other issues including annexation of Fox Run and Windtree, maintianing our infrastructure, supporting our excellent town institutions such as the library and playhouse and continuing to improve our excellent police, fire and EMS departments who were honored on this 5th anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy.
I want to again state that I oppose this recall vote which will now apparently be on the ballot. The next council will have a majority of new members. While there may be disagreement with and opposition to the zoning changes voted by the current council, I don't believe any of them are corrupt or self-serving. Only two of the next council are available for recall. As we confront the many issues before the council, I think it would be difficult for the town to move forward with 5 all new members and to lose the knowledge and continuity of the 2 continuing members. I urge everyone to oppose the current recall and to work with the new council to find ways to support the town's vision of well-controlled, well-managed environmentally sustainable growth.

No comments: