Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Upcoming Signal Mountain elections

I know I've been mighty quiet lately. I've been trying to keep my head down! However, I think it is time we all started focusing on upcoming elections. While presidential races get a lot of attention, there are some important local races going on.

I'm sure everyone is aware that there is one candidate on the ballot for school board and another write-in campaign recently started. Dr. Jonathon Welch was the only candidate who qualified for the ballot. After that deadline, Mike Harvey decided to throw his hat in the ring as a write-in. I am remaining neutral in this race. I hope that the discussion will center around the issues affecting the school board and that both men will present their views on those issues and what they would do on the school board. Obviously, I am particularly interested in what made Mike Harvey decide to jump into the race so late. A write-in campaign is obviously an uphill battle and will take a lot of work.

Last, but certainly not least, there will be a Signal Mountain Town Council race in the fall. Allen, Lusk and Wallace's seats are all up for election. I know that Lusk has picked up papers to run (and I believe may have already qualified) and I have also been told that Annette Allen has qualified for re-election. I haven't heard from Bill Wallace, yet. The deadline to turn in petitions to run is August 16 at noon. All potential candidates should be getting prepared. As you know, Signal Mountain races have changed considerably in the last few years (when they are contested) and do require some preparation and planning. I am happy to share my own views privately with anyone considering running and you are welcome to contact me. I'm sure I will be commenting on issues as the race proceeds. All of the current incumbents now have records which are public and can be reviewed. Feel free to use this blog as a forum for commenting on any local issues. I also have a Facebook page for the League of Signal Mountain Voters which I have created as a forum for discussing local issues. If you are on Facebook and would like to join that group, just ask me. It is open to all. Here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/110672268965327/

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Alexander Elder said...

I Interesting post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting.