Thursday, April 23, 2009

Well, we're back after a wonderful trip to London. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to chaperone 20 Notre Dame HS theatre students last week. We arrived on Easter Sunday. The Catholic students went to mass at Westminster Cathedral and the rest of us went to services at Westminster Abbey, the almost 1000 year old church where the Kings and Queens of England are crowned. Needless to say it was an amazing experience.

The next week was a whirlwind of tours, amazing theatre and a little shopping. I was gratified at the high quality of the youth I was with. They were all truly great kids and we had no significant problems whatsoever. Their instructor, John Lennon is truly an inspiration. His love and respect for his students is palpable and reciprocated by those students.

While I was gone, life obviously went on. I missed my first council meeting. There was a recent unfortunate incident at SMHS. I want to applaud our SM Police Department and especially our SRO, Greg Hill for their prompt and appropriate response to this incident. Considering that our police arrived just as several allegedly intoxicated students were driving away, it is likely that greater tragedy was avoided. Last year we had talked with the candidates for sheriff and with the County Commission about assigning another SRO specifically for the High School. We received the strong message that it was not going to happen. While this area is not technically in Officer Hill's area of responsibility, the fact that the Middle and High Schools are in the same building means he is frequently doing extra duty. Greg is not the kind to turn down a chance to help kids. As to why the Council decided to renew this request at this time, I can't say since I wasn't there. I think an extra officer dedicated to the High School would be ideal, but it seems clear that it is not in the budget. However, I want to emphasize that our police and SRO responded very well to this particular incident and, while I wasn't there I feel I can go out on a limb and speak for the Council in saying that I have never heard a negative word from them about our police department.

The major upcoming news will be the budget. We have a budget hearing on May 12 which I would encourage citizens to attend. This year promises to be very tight. I honestly don't yet know exactly how it will turn out. The big unknown is the Hall Income Tax. We won't have this figure until July. Expect things to be very tight next year.

The annexation case continues to wind its way through the courts. Initial proceedings have been favorable to the town. It is still primarily a lawyer battle at this point.

Most of you probably know that the School Board has accepted Tom Poteet's proposal for the old SMMS site. The town will now have to consider any potential rezoning request. We have worked hard to prepare the town for this change and, while I don't want to pre-judge anything, I am optimistic for a positive outcome for our town.

Well, that's the update for now. I look forward to hearing any responses, opinions, questions, etc. I would strongly prefer that any replies not be anonymous, but will try to reply to all.

No comments: